Blackberry Picking…By Appointment
Why do we have appointments?
Cane Berries should always be picked in the cool of the morning. As the day warms berries will become tart and will only re-sweeten overnight. We at the farm pick the field clean everyday (in the morning). If we don’t know your coming there will be none left for you.
We also want you to get all the fruit you want so we will hold the field just for you!
Please let us know a few days in advance if you can.
We will have Saturday picking all day for Drive-by’s that want to pick after coming down off the mountain (Peaks of Otter). Subject to availability.
The berries we pick are quickly frozen and available for purchase, they are fresh but berries deteriorate quickly even just being cool, so we freeze them. If you want fresh un-frozen let us know in advance.
We are glad you are interested in picking our lovely blackberries.
- Call us: (434) 213-0062 to make an appointment
- NO DOGS OR PETS ALLOWED on Farm. Food Safety and Sanitation laws prohibit animals.
- Children under 12 years of age must be supervised by an adult (18 y/o+) who is not picking berries themselves – this is a working farm. So if you are bringing children under 12 years old and would also like to pick berries; you should bring another adult with you to watch over the young ones as you pick to keep everyone safe.
- Bring ice paks and a cooler with you to put your berries in after you have picked them. Berries need to be kept cool as it affects their taste and how long they will be at their best.
- We have buckets for you to use while picking and plastic bags for you to take your berries home in. If you would like to bring your own containers to use; you can do that too!
- Wearing long sleeves and gloves helps when picking – Blackberries have thorns.
- Bring sunscreen and put it on before you go into the berry field.
- There are often bees in the blackberry field doing their work. If you have allergies to bees bring your appropriate medication.
- $3.95 per pound you pick
- $4.95per pou nd frozen/we have picked
- We prefer cash or check but gladly take credit cards with a $10 minimum purchase.
- We are located on Virginia 43 (Scenic Byway) just 2 miles before the peaks of Otter (POO), right under Sharptop Mt.
- Address is 1407 Toms Rd. We are easy to find right off 43. Look for our signs.